Nokia continues to align its workforce and operations
Earlier this year, Nokia announced changes primarily focused on aligning its R&D operations in Smart Devices and Mobile Phones. Today, the company announced the next phase of operational alignment, which includes plans for reductions in manufacturing, the Location & Commerce business, and supporting functions. Nokia plans to adjust its manufacturing capacity and renew its manufacturing operations to better serve its global network of customers, partners and suppliers in the following manner:
- Focus its feature phone manufacturing on those locations with optimal proximity to suppliers and key markets. As a result, Nokia plans to close its manufacturing facility in Cluj, Romania by the end of 2011, as Nokia's high-volume Asian factories provide greater
scale and proximity benefits.
- Review the long-term role of its manufacturing operations in Salo, Finland, Komarom, Hungary, and Reynosa, Mexico. These factories are expected to continue to play a key role in serving European and North American smartphone customers, but the plan is to
gradually shift their focus to customer and market-specific software and sales package customization. It is estimated this would have an impact on the number of personnel in 2012, with no impact in 2011. Nokia will engage in discussions with employee representatives and stakeholders in these sites, and expects to have more visibility into the possible headcount impacts in the first quarter of 2012.
Nokia previously announced its plans to create a Location & Commerce business consolidating location assets including NAVTEQ and Nokia's social location services operations. As part of consolidating this business, Nokia has identified potential synergies and opportunities to increase effectiveness through automation. Location & Commerce is responsible for driving the delivery of the world's best digital mapping content, location platform and social-location experiences. Nokia plans to concentrate its Location &
Commerce development efforts in Berlin, Boston, Chicago and other supporting sites, and plans to close its operations in Bonn, Germany and Malvern, US. Nokia is also starting consultations with employees in Sales, Marketing and Corporate Functions, in line with Nokia's earlier announcement on April 27, 2011.
RM-SYSTÉM, česká burza cenných papírů a.s.
- Nokia Corporation - Financial Report for Q3 2021 (26.10.2021 14:24)
- Nokia Corporation - publish 3Q and Jan.-Sept. 2021 report on 28 October 2021 (22.10.2021 14:22)
- Nokia Corporation - Changes in Nokia Corporation's own shares (12.10.2021 15:21)
- Nokia Corporation - Changes in Nokia Corporation's own shares (26.08.2021 12:40)
- Nokia Corporation Financial Report for Q2 and Half Year 2021 (30.07.2021 15:56)