McDonald's Second Quarter Earnings Per Share Rise 19% on Strong Global Results
"McDonald's ongoing momentum reflects our commitment to the customer. By providing relevant food and beverage choices in convenient, modern restaurants, we're giving customers more reasons to visit us more often," said McDonald's Chief Executive Officer Jim Skinner. "McDonald's global results for the quarter demonstrate the resilience of our Plan to Win and our ability to execute successfully. Comparable sales and guest count increases across all segments, highlighted by June's strong results, drove double-digit operating income and earnings per share growth."
The Company reported the following highlights for the quarter:
- Global comparable sales increased 5.6%, with the U.S. up 4.5%, Europe up 5.9% and Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa up 5.2%
- Consolidated operating income increased 19% (11% in constant currencies)
- Diluted earnings per share of $1.35, up 19% (11% in constant currencies)
- Returned $1.4 billion to shareholders through share repurchases and dividends
In addition, the Company announced the following:
- On July 21, McDonald's Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.61 per share of common stock, payable on September 16, 2011, to shareholders of record at the close of business on September 1, 2011
In the U.S., McDonald's high-quality, affordable food and beverages continued to drive increased sales and guest counts. For the second quarter, U.S. operating income rose 6%, with sales fueled by the McCafe line-up, featuring the new Frozen Strawberry Lemonade, classic core offerings, including Chicken McNuggets and the Big Mac, and breakfast, supported by the new Fruit & Maple Oatmeal.
McDonald's Europe delivered strong comparable sales increases for the second quarter. Operating income increased 24% (10% in constant currencies) led by robust performance in France, the U.K. and Russia. The ongoing restaurant modernization efforts, as well as the segment's focus on premium menu offerings and unique food events, contributed to Europe's second quarter performance.
Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa (APMEA) delivered strong comparable sales growth, led by China and most other markets. Operating income growth of 34% (19% in constant currencies) reflected the success of the segment's continued commitment to branded affordability, convenience initiatives, such as drive-thru, delivery and extended hours, and innovative marketing tie-ins.
Jim Skinner concluded, "McDonald's continued success reflects the fundamental strength of our business model and unprecedented alignment around our customer-focused strategies. I am pleased with our second quarter performance and confident that the united efforts of our owner-operators, suppliers and employees will drive profitable growth for our shareholders over the long term, despite the continuing challenges of our economic environment. As we begin the third quarter, our momentum continues with July global comparable sales expected to be between 4 and 5%."
RM-SYSTÉM, česká burza cenných papírů a.s.
- McDonald's Reports Fourth Quarter 2020 Results (03.02.2021 12:16)
- McDonald's Reports Third Quarter 2020 Results (19.11.2020 14:09)
- McDonald's reports third quarter 2020 comparable sales and raises cash dividend (14.10.2020 17:00)
- McDonald's Reports Second Quarter 2020 Results (29.07.2020 15:50)
- McDONALD'S ANNOUNCES QUARTERLY CASH DIVIDEND (24.07.2020 10:51)