McDonald's Delivers Another Year of Strong Results In 2009
"McDonald's 2009 results reflect the broad-based strength of our global business," said McDonald's Chief Executive Officer, Jim Skinner. "Our in-demand food and beverages, unparalleled convenience and superior value at every level of our menu enabled us to serve 60 million customers per day during 2009, up 2 million per day over the prior year. In addition, McDonald's profitability increased as we marked our sixth consecutive year of positive comparable sales in every geographic segment and generated higher global revenues, operating income and earnings per share in constant currencies - all tremendous accomplishments given the tough global economy."
Full year 2009 highlights included:
- Global comparable sales increase of 3.8%, fueled by the U.S. 2.6%, Europe 5.2% and Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa 3.4%
- Growth in McDonald's combined operating margin to 30.1%
- Consolidated operating income increase of 6% (10% in constant currencies) over the prior year
- Earnings per share of $4.11, up 9% (13% in constant currencies) over the prior year
- Return of $5.1 billion to shareholders through shares repurchased and dividends paid, bringing the three-year total to $16.6 billion under the Company's $15 billion to $17 billion cash return to shareholders target for 2007 through 2009
Fourth quarter highlights included:
- Global comparable sales increase of 2.3%, with all segments reporting positive results
- Operating income increases in the U.S. 5%, Europe 20% (10% in constant currencies) and Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa 51% (28% in constant currencies)
- Earnings per share of $1.11, including an $0.08 per share benefit primarily due to the resolution of certain liabilities retained in connection with the 2007 Latin America developmental license transaction. Currency translation also benefited earnings by $0.07 per share
- On January 21, McDonald's Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.55 per share of common stock, payable on March 15, 2010 to shareholders of record at the close of business on March 1, 2010
Throughout 2009, McDonald's U.S. sales outpaced the overall quick-service restaurant industry and drove market share increases. In the fourth quarter, U.S. operating income rose as consumers enjoyed core menu favorites, everyday value offerings and new premium products, including McCafe espresso-based coffees and the Angus Third Pounder, and commodity costs eased.
McDonald's Europe delivered strong comparable sales for the fourth quarter against robust prior year results. The U.K., France and Russia led the segment's operating income growth for the quarter. Emphasis on fourth-tier menu development, premium product innovation, daypart expansion and restaurant reimaging continued to provide an appealing restaurant experience and drive market share gains.
In the fourth quarter, Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa (APMEA) delivered impressive double-digit operating income growth fueled by results in Australia, expansion in China and operating efficiencies and lower commodity costs in many markets. Strong execution in convenience, value, core menu and breakfast continued to drive APMEA's performance.
Jim Skinner concluded, "As we begin 2010, McDonald's January global comparable sales trend remains positive. We will continue our fiscal discipline by investing prudently and returning excess cash to shareholders. I am confident that the collective efforts of our franchisees, suppliers and employees will continue to drive value for all stakeholders."
Přiložený dokument ke stažení
Full Finantial Release
RM-SYSTÉM, česká burza cenných papírů a.s.
- McDonald's reports third quarter 2020 comparable sales and raises cash dividend (14.10.2020 17:00)
- McDonald's Reports Second Quarter 2020 Results (29.07.2020 15:50)
- McDONALD'S ANNOUNCES QUARTERLY CASH DIVIDEND (24.07.2020 10:51)
- McDonald's Reports First Quarter 2020 Results (30.04.2020 14:39)
- McDonald's Reports Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2019 Results And Quarterly Cash Dividend (29.01.2020 14:09)