VW - Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) decides on recall for affected EA 189 diesel vehicles
- Volkswagen welcomes KBA decision
- Vehicle owners will be notified
- Current generation of EA 288 diesel engines not affected
Volkswagen welcomes the swift decision by the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) to implement the timetable and plan of measures submitted last week by issuing a recall. This decision gives customers clarity with regard to the continued unrestricted use of the vehicles.
The Volkswagen Group will recall a total of approximately 8.5 million vehicles in Europe (EU28 markets), including some 2.4 million vehicles in Germany, according to KBA. Outside the EU28, each individual country will clarify in detail which emissions classes of the EA 189 engine are in fact affected.
Volkswagen will contact customers and inform them direct. In addition, every Volkswagen customer, for example, can visit the German website www.volkswagen.de/info set up on October 2, 2015 and enter the chassis number of their vehicle to find out straight away whether they are affected. Similar customer websites are active in the other EU countries and for the Audi, SEAT and Škoda brands.
Work on the technical solutions detailed in the plan of measures is currently proceeding at full speed. Remedial action on the vehicles will begin in January 2016 - at no cost to our customers. The technical solutions can involve software as well as hardware measures. These are currently being developed for each affected series and each affected model year. All measures will first be presented to the responsible authorities. Volkswagen will subsequently inform the owners of these vehicles over the next weeks and months.
Customers now have clarity with regard to the continued unrestricted use of the vehicles. All of the vehicles affected remain technically safe and roadworthy.
The current successor generation of EA 288 diesel engines (in use since 2012) is not affected.
Note: This text is available from www.volkswagen-media-services.com. The information contained in this press release does not refer to products and services of Volkswagen Group of America.
Source: VW website
RM-SYSTÉM, česká burza cenných papírů a.s.
- Volkswagen Financial Services report stable contract portfolio (14.08.2020 12:40)
- Volkswagen brand with effective crisis management in the first half of the year (04.08.2020 14:42)
- Volkswagen AG invests in battery operations at Salzgitter (12.05.2020 13:03)
- Volkswagen AG - Interim Report January - March 2020 (05.05.2020 13:04)
- The Volkswagen Group recorded a substantial impact on its business (30.04.2020 15:08)