Nokia to sell Devices & Services business to Microsoft in EUR 5.44 billion all-cash transaction
- Transaction expected to be significantly accretive to Nokia earnings.
- Nokia continues to develop, and sees significant value in, advanced technologies, its patent portfolio and Nokia brand.
- Nokia focusing on NSN, HERE and Advanced Technologies post-transaction. Each business a leading player in its respective segment.
- Nokia outlines changes to leadership and Board of Directors.
ESPOO, Finland - Nokia Corporation today announced that it has signed an agreement to enter into a transaction whereby Nokia will sell substantially all of its Devices & Services business and licence its patents to Microsoft for EUR 5.44 billion in cash, payable at closing. Nokia expects to book a gain on sale of approximately EUR 3.2 billion, and expects the transaction to be significantly accretive to earnings.
The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of 2014, subject to approval by Nokia shareholders, regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.
Following the transaction, Nokia plans to focus on its three established businesses, each of which is a leader in enabling mobility in its respective market segment: NSN, a leader in network infrastructure and services; HERE, a leader in mapping and location services; and Advanced Technologies, a leader in technology development and licensing. At closing, this transaction is expected to strengthen Nokia's financial position and provide a solid basis for future investment in these three businesses.
"After a thorough assessment of how to maximize shareholder value, including consideration of a variety of alternatives, we believe this transaction is the best path forward for Nokia and its shareholders," said Risto Siilasmaa, Chairman of the Nokia Board of Directors and, following today's announcement, also Nokia interim CEO.
Subject to the closing of the transaction, Microsoft will acquire substantially all of Nokia's Devices & Services business, including the Mobile Phones and Smart Devices business units as well as an industry-leading design team, operations including all Nokia Devices & Services production facilities, Devices & Services-related sales and marketing activities, and related support functions. At closing, approximately 32,000 people are expected to transfer to Microsoft, including approximately 4,700 people in Finland. Nokia's CTO (Chief Technology Office) organization and patent portfolio will remain within the Nokia Group. The operations that are planned to be transferred to Microsoft generated an estimated EUR 14.9 billion, or almost 50%, of Nokia's net sales for the full year 2012.
As part of the transaction, Nokia will grant Microsoft a 10 year non-exclusive license to its patents as of the time of the closing, and Microsoft will grant Nokia reciprocal rights related to HERE services. In addition, Nokia will grant Microsoft an option to extend this mutual patent agreement to perpetuity. Of the total purchase price of EUR 5.44 billion, EUR 3.79 billion relates to the purchase of substantially all of the Devices & Services business, and EUR 1.65 billion relates to the mutual patent agreement and future option.
Additionally, Microsoft will become a strategic licensee of the HERE platform, and will separately pay Nokia for a four year license. This revenue stream is expected to substantially replace the revenue stream HERE is currently receiving from Nokia's Devices & Services business internally. If the transaction closes Microsoft is expected to become one of the top three customers of HERE.
Microsoft has agreed to make immediately available to Nokia EUR 1.5 billion of financing in the form of three EUR 500 million tranches of convertible bonds to be issued by Nokia maturing in 5, 6 and 7 years respectively. It is at Nokia's discretion if it chooses to draw down all or some of these tranches. The financing is not conditional on the transaction closing. If the transaction closes, any outstanding bonds will be redeemed and netted against the deal proceeds by the amount of principal and accrued interest.
The following are the key terms of the three tranches of bonds Nokia may choose to issue:
- The first tranche matures in 5 years and has a 1.125% per annum coupon payable semi-annually with an initial conversion price of EUR 3.9338.
- The second tranche matures in 6 years and has a 2.5% per annum coupon payable semi-annually with an initial conversion price of EUR 4.0851.
- The third tranche matures in 7 years and has a 3.625% per annum coupon payable semi-annually with an initial conversion price of EUR 4.2364.
The Board of Directors of Nokia will separately assess whether to draw down some or all of this financing. If Nokia would decide to utilize this financing option, the earliest that Microsoft could convert any of these bonds to shares is two years from draw down.
Microsoft has agreed to a 10 year license arrangement with Nokia to use the Nokia brand on current Mobile Phones products. Nokia will continue to own and maintain the Nokia brand. Under the terms of the transaction, Microsoft has agreed to a 10 year license arrangement with Nokia to use the Nokia brand on current and subsequently developed products based on the Series 30 and Series 40 operating systems. Upon the closing of the transaction, Nokia would be restricted from licensing the Nokia brand for use in connection with mobile device sales for 30 months and from using the Nokia brand on Nokia's own mobile devices until December 31, 2015.
The transaction is subject to potential purchase price adjustments, protecting both Nokia and Microsoft, and a USD 750 million termination fee payable by Microsoft to Nokia in the event that the transaction fails to receive necessary regulatory clearances.
- See more at: http://press.nokia.com/2013/09/03/nokia-to-sell-devices-services-business-to-microsoft-in-eur-5-44-billion-all-cash-transaction/#sthash.O4YJtArO.dpuf
RM-SYSTÉM, česká burza cenných papírů a.s.
- Nokia Corporation - Financial Report for Q1 2021 (30.04.2021 16:20)
- Nokia Corporation - Changes in Nokia Corporation's own shares (15.04.2021 16:23)
- Nokia Corporation - Usnesení výroční VH a představenstva společnosti Nokia Corporation (13.04.2021 14:15)
- Nokia Corporation - Report on Form 20-F for 2020, published its Nokia in 2020 Annual Report (09.03.2021 14:26)
- Nokia Corporation - Changes in Nokia Corporation's own shares (11.02.2021 15:23)