Global Comparable Sales Drive First Quarter Results at McDonald's
First Quarter highlights included:
- Global comparable sales increased 7.3%, and benefited from one additional day due to leap year
- Consolidated revenues increased 7% (8% in constant currencies)
- Consolidated operating income increased 8% (9% in constant currencies)
- Diluted earnings per share of $1.23, up 7% (8% in constant currencies)
- Returned $1.5 billion to shareholders through share repurchases and dividends
McDonald's U.S. generated comparable sales of 8.9% and robust guest traffic through a balanced approach to variety, convenience and value. Top-line performance benefited from the ongoing popularity of McDonald's classic core favorites, menu innovations such as Chicken McBites, the enhanced customer experience of McDonald's reimaged restaurants and favorable weather. Operating income for the quarter rose 10%.
Europe delivered solid comparable sales growth of 5.0% and operating income growth of 4% (8% in constant currencies) for the quarter. Performance in the U.K. and Russia led the segment's sales growth, with France and Germany also contributing. Europe's emphasis on everyday affordability, premium product innovation and restaurant reimaging continued to provide an appealing restaurant experience and contributed to the segment's quarterly results. Ongoing economic challenges and severe weather in February negatively impacted the quarter.
Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa's (APMEA) comparable sales increase of 5.5% reflected broad-based growth led by China, Australia and Japan. APMEA's operating income rose 10% (7% in constant currencies) as strong execution of the segment's core menu, compelling value and convenience strategies drove results.
Jim Skinner concluded, "Last month I announced my plan to retire from McDonald's in June. As I reflect on the past eight years, I am inspired by the Owner/Operators, suppliers and employees around the world who have aligned behind the Plan to Win and made McDonald's more relevant for more customers than ever before. Looking ahead, I am confident that Don Thompson and his leadership team possess the vision, talent and commitment to seize the future and take McDonald's brand and business performance to new heights. I wish all McDonald's stakeholders the very best knowing the brightest days for McDonald's still lie ahead."
Přiložený dokument ke stažení
First Quarter Results
RM-SYSTÉM, česká burza cenných papírů a.s.
- McDonald's - reports 3Q 2021 results (29.10.2021 15:43)
- McDonald's - 2021 Q3 and Q4 Dividends (30.09.2021 09:20)
- McDonald's - 2021 Q2 Dividends and Earnings Release (27.07.2021 11:36)
- McDonald's - 2021 Q1 Dividends (05.05.2021 16:24)
- McDonald's - Q1 Earnings Release (30.04.2021 16:59)